Saturday 7 February 2015

Take Thou Thy Pound of Cake

I can officially retire from baking, I have made the only cake I will ever need for the rest of my life. Okay obviously that's an exaggeration but this cake is still ridiculously good. Like have a second piece even though you're stuffed good. Put the rest in the freezer immediately before you eat it all good. Quick take a photo as you're walking to the table with it on your plate because it will be gone by the time you get there good. Seriously.

   It's another Pinterest score and the original recipe comes courtesy of Carl's Bad Cravings. I swear I don't spend all my time on Pinterest, I just happen to get lucky with good recipes.

   The cake is unbelievably easy to make, but it takes forever to bake so make sure you've got a good chunk of time carved out to do it. Or split it into smaller pans and that will decrease your bake time and make it easier to freeze leftovers. I wasn't kidding about needing to do that.

Toffee Pecan Pound Cake

1-1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
2 cups light brown sugar, packed
1 cup granulated sugar
5 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 bag of toffee bits (200g or 8oz depending on where in the world you live)
1 cup pecans, chopped

*Note: If you are in a hurry to soften your butter you can pop it in a bowl and into the oven while it preheats. KEEP AN EYE ON IT though, this is not a good time for an impromptu dance party or monologue run or it will melt. I know. I did it. The nice thing about butter though is you pop that bowl in an ice bath and it's back to solid form in no time!

-Preheat your oven to 325ºF (160ºC) grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan (the one with the hole in the middle)
-In a large bowl cream butter until smooth. Add in both sugars and mix until light and fluffy. 
- Add the eggs one at a time mixing just until each has been incorporated into the batter. 
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add one third of the flour mixture to the butter followed by a third of the milk. Repeat, alternating between flour and milk twice more and mix until just combined. 
- Stir in the toffee and pecans and pour into your prepared pan. 
- Bake for about 90 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. 

The original recipe called for a caramel sauce to be drizzled overtop. I elected not to do this and I'm glad I did as there is no way I would've been able to handle the sweetness of the added caramel. The woman who did that is officially a new hero of mine. This cake is just the perfect balance of brown sugar toffee goodness without being overly sweet. Good thing it's Valentine's Day next weekend because I am definitely in love!

On the way to eat my second slice
-Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment