Sunday 2 November 2014

Wherefore art thou, Sconeo?

  A couple of weeks ago I got a hankering for a cinnamon raisin scone. Such cravings are not strange for me, but the thing about my cravings is that they are very specific and the standard for satisfying them is very high. Thus, I spent weeks searching high and low for the perfect cinnamon raisin scone to pacify me. Being in London, I thought I'd have no trouble, but alas, a grocery store scone was not going to cut it, and I couldn't find a bakery that carried them. I even went to afternoon tea at a hotel hoping they would be there, but alas, it was not to be. I soon realized that if I was going to find the scone of my dreams, I was going to have to get over my anxiety of baking in my unfamiliar London kitchen, buy some ingredients and do it myself.

   I didn't have a recipe in mind so I did what all Martha's in the making do and turned to Pinterest. My criteria were simple; fewest number of ingredients I had to purchase, ease of execution. I managed to save a few pounds, and storage space by turning a roasting pan upside down instead of purchasing a baking tray. Necessity is the mother of invention, as is being cheap. I found the one and after enjoying the fruits of my long labour I am convinced that it is, in fact, The One. The results were everything I had hoped for, crumbly, warm, delicious cinnamony goodness. So good, I ate three and had to immediately bag up the rest and pop them in the freezer or else I would've been going back to them every hour on the hour until they were finished!


   You can find the recipe below, I followed it pretty much to the letter with the exception of substituting soy milk for milk (I can only handle so much dairy). I also added an extra 1/4 tsp of cinnamon and skipped the chocolate chips. I'm a big believer in keeping things simple and classic and adding anything to the already delectable combination of cinnamon and raisin seems unnecessary to me, but hey, that's just me, you do you.

The recipe:

-Holly



No comments:

Post a Comment